Job Posting: Visitor Services Supervisor, Comox Valley
Tourism Vancouver Island has an immediate job opening for a Visitor Services Supervisor in the Comox Valley for a qualified and passionate individual looking to join a team of tourism professionals who love where they live, and love what they do.
If you are a service-oriented person with natural people and communication skills and a proven ability to build highly collaborative and effective partnerships ― we want to hear from you. If you have a knack for organization and can keep multiple priorities moving effectively (to deadline and budget) ― we want to hear from you.
And most importantly, if you thrive in a team environment and are as generous with your skills, time and energy as you are flexible in how you apply them ― we want to hear from you. Tourism Vancouver Island is a regional destination management organization representing and supporting the tourism and hospitality industry on Vancouver Island and the surrounding Gulf and Discovery Islands. Grounded by our guiding principles of inclusion, reconciliation and mindful travel promotion, the organization’s strategic priorities include the delivery of Tourism Industry Services to tourism operators, communities and visitors.
You will report to the Manager, Visitor Services, and will be an important member of the Tourism Vancouver Island Visitor Services team focused on supervising the operation of the Vancouver Island Visitor Centre in the Comox Valley and its staff, to ensure Visitor Centre Network requirements and standards are met.
Who You Are:
- You are a people-person who enjoys building respectful and collaborative partnerships within your community;
- You are a strategic thinker with the ability to influence, engage and motivate others to action;
- You are a team-oriented worker who thrives best in an environment of collaboration and shared responsibility;
- You are highly self-motivated and love deadlines, which you meet with ease and successful delivery;
- You face challenging situations with the diplomacy and respect necessary to achieve cooperative outcomes;
- You are organized and can juggle competing priorities;
- You love processes, organization and project management.
What We Can Offer You
- Rewarding work that serves the economic growth of tourism-dependent businesses;
- A fun, creative and fast-paced team environment, with a culture that prioritizes work-life balance and fulfillment of your professional goals;
- Competitive compensation, with a health and dental benefits package (following 3-month probation), as well as generous vacation time.
About the Position
You will report to the Manager, Visitor Services and will be an important member of the Tourism Industry Services team. Your primary responsibilities are to supervise the day-to-day operation of the Vancouver Island Visitor Centre located at 3607 Small Road in Cumberland, B.C. to ensure Visitor Centre Network requirements and standards are met. This includes coordinating the on-site building services, and supervising staff and volunteers to develop and maintain relationships with the tourism and
hospitality businesses of the Comox Valley, as well as the community and ancillary organizations that contribute to the region’s economic development.
- Train, schedule and supervise the Visitor Centre staff to ensure a high-quality visitor experience;
- Implement and supervise visitor service retail systems and work to grow retail revenue opportunities;
- Help facilitate visitor services and programs by working closely with relevant stakeholders to deliver high quality visitor experiences;
- Coordinate the successful achievement of project timelines and budget allocations;
- Support in the delivery of all funder and internal reporting requirements;
- If required and on the direction of Manager, Visitor Services, prepare and deliver presentations for effective consultation and stakeholder relations;
- Contribute as a member of the Tourism Vancouver Island team such that you may be asked to apply your skills to other projects and clients;
- Take reasonable care to protect the health and safety of you and others by adhering to any and all health and safety requirements for the Visitor Centre, asking for training if unfamiliar with the work you are requested to perform and correcting unsafe conditions or inappropriate behaviour, or reporting them to a supervisor.
What We Are Looking For
- A post-secondary education in a relevant field like Tourism Management, Marketing or Business Administration or a similar combination of education and work experience;
- A minimum of 1-2 years in a role that requires organization, administration and supervisory management skills. Some experience in marketing preferred;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Excellent people skills, with a noted ability to build relationships that are respectful and highly collaborative;
- An ability to juggle multiple and competing priorities with a high degree of organizational skill;
- A preference for working in a team environment, with a great deal of flexibility and self management;
- High degree of sensitivity in dealing with the public, staff, board and stakeholders;
- In-depth knowledge of Vancouver Island and the Comox Valley;
- Able to travel in the Comox Valley and work flexible hours as required;
- A valid drivers’ license and a reliable vehicle. This is a full-time permanent position based on a 40-hour work week. Some evening and weekend work may be required and travel on Vancouver Island, following the COVID-19 pandemic, will be required.
How to Apply
To apply please submit a resume and cover letter to Dino Tsembelis ([email protected]) which clearly outlines your suitability by 5:00 p.m. PST on Thursday, October 7, 2021.
Tourism Vancouver Island is committed to the development of a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to sex, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, race, ethnic origin, colour, religion, nationality, disability, age or other characteristics protected by applicable law. We encourage interest, in particular, from Indigenous peoples, peoples with disabilities, ethnic minorities, visible minorities and all qualified individuals who share our belief in a workplace of diversity.
Tourism Vancouver Island gratefully acknowledges that we live, work and play on the traditional, ancestral, and unceded territories of the Kwakwaka’wakw, Nuu-chah-nulth, and Coast Salish peoples.
Globe and Mail Travel News: Vancouver Island to cut tourism emissions
Travel news: Vancouver Island to cut tourism emissions, statement luggage goes sustainable and the world’s first Mountain Air Sommelier This month, 4VI was featured in the Globe and Mail's travel news section as an innovator in the world of tourism emissions and...
The Future of Tourism Podcast: Vancouver Island’s Bold Experiment in Sustainable Tourism
Anthony Everett, CEO of 4VI, joins David Peacock of the Future of Tourism to discuss Vancouver Island’s bold experiment in sustainable tourism. Discover how 4VI has redefined itself as a social enterprise, with a mandate to serve 800,000 residents and ensure...
Tourism By Choice or Tourism By Chance? | Big Tourism Podcast From a DMO to a Social Enterprise
Check out this new episode of Big Tourism with Anthony Everett, ICD.D at 4VI. The title of this episode is from conversations held at the annual IMPACT Conference. Join Big Tourism host Arica Sears and her guest Anthony Everett, President and CEO of 4VI, as they talk...
Decarbonizing Vancouver Island’s Tourism Economy
4VI conducts one of the largest tourism carbon audits in North America - standing by its commitment to making tourism a force for good on Vancouver Island—forever Traditional Territory of the Snuneymuxw First Nation (Nanaimo, BC), April 24, 2023 – Non-profit social...